Department for Transport
About the job
We recognise the challenges that people with (multiple) protected characteristics may experience on the job market and in their career progression. We are fully committed to being an inclusive employer and ensuring equal opportunities. We are keen to make our workforce as diverse as possible, and we hope to attract applications from underrepresented groups, including Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) people, people with a disability, and people with gender diverse identities.
Would you relish the opportunity to be right at the heart of resourcing for the Department for Transport and it’s agencies?
Are you excited about trying new approaches to resourcing and providing excellent quality services for customers?
If so we would love to hear from you!
We are looking for someone to join our team as the Head of DfT Resourcing Delivery in the Group Human Resources directorate.
As the Head of the DfT Resourcing Delivery Group (DRG) you will be responsible for the resourcing activities for the central department and four executive agencies (DVLA, DVSA, MCA and VCA).
Each organisation relies heavily on recruitment to build the capabilities they need for the future and attract new talent. You will play a vital role in providing a recruitment service which supports their organisational objectives now and in the future.
You will have a good understand of different resourcing strategy options and will oversee the delivery of the resourcing service provision to meet changing business needs.
You will be constantly improving the service offered to business areas, the hiring managers and candidates. Looking at options for process improvement, automation and new approaches to recruitment.
The role has wider reaching responsibilities for communicating and influencing at all levels in the department, across government and externally and will require you to establish, build and maintain strategic relationships with key and senior level stakeholders.
You will be responsible for an operation of 30 team members, building an inclusive innovative culture where people can grow and develop their skills and behaviours.
• Provide a resourcing service to all hiring managers in DfTc, DVLA, DVSA, MCA and VCA within SLAs;
• Provide bespoke resourcing solutions for Digital roles and other hard to fill vacancies;
• Manage the services provided by Government Recruitment Services (GRS); ensure the transactional activities led by GRS are being delivered in a timely and accurate way. Work alongside GRS to introduce changes and influence improvement to processes and the recruitment system;
• Ensure recruitment in DfT is fully compliant with the Civil Service Recruitment Principles, exploring opportunities to strengthen quality assurance throughout the process;
• Provide expert services for vacancy holders in terms of inclusive recruitment and assessment;
• Establish strong relationships with the HR / resourcing leads in each of the 5 DfT business areas and with heads of professions;
• Understand wider Whitehall recruitment projects and agendas, keeping own knowledge up-to date;
• Manage the contractual relationship with Alexander Mann Solutions the providers of Contingent Labour for DfT;
• Continue to build the capability and expertise of the DfT Resourcing Delivery Team to ensure team members provide the best service to our customers;
• Manage the budget associated with resourcing delivery, including monitoring of spend, making the case for any new expenditure and ensuring the recruitment service delivers value for money.
Special features of the role
Candidates are required to have relevant professional qualification or knowledge – full or part-qualified member (Level 5) of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) or willing to work towards this, or equivalent professional qualification or HR knowledge.
You are someone who has resourcing experience and is confident across a range of recruitment activities. You will have the ability to push boundaries, investigate new ways of working and influence change to support a high-quality recruitment consultancy service for our customers.
You are brilliant at being able to collaborate with others and instil a level of confidence in colleagues. You have the ability to inspire, engage and encourage ideas from a diverse range of partners. You are someone who can gain an understanding of a broad range of information and formulate this into a strategic picture.
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Being part of our brilliant Civil Service means you will have access to a wide range of fantastic benefits. We offer generous annual leave, attractive pension options, flexible working, inclusive working environments and much more to support a healthy work/life balance.
Find out more about what it’s like working at the Department for Transport .
Things you need to know Security
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles , and will assess your Behaviours and Experience.
We are closely monitoring the situation regarding the coronavirus, and will be following central Government advice as it is issued. There is therefore a risk that recruitment to this post may be subject to change at short notice. In addition, where appropriate, you may be invited to attend a video interview.
Please continue to follow the application process as normal and ensure that you check your emails regularly as all updates from us will be sent to you this way.
The Civil Service Nationality Rules has been updated following the United Kingdom’s exit from the European Union. The new rules will come into effect on 1st January 2021. We urge people from the EU, European Economic Area and Switzerland to be familiar with the updated Nationality rules prior to applying for this role.
As part of the application process you will be asked to complete a CV and personal statement. Further details around what this will entail are listed on the application form.
When considering your experience, please tailor your CV and personal statement (1250 words) to provide evidence of when you have;
• applied expertise and knowledge of resourcing, including methodologies, to influence recruitment activities;
• communicated the latest thinking and innovations to stakeholders.
• used data and evidence to make decisions, present evidence based insights, highlight risks and feed these into strategic resourcing plans
• implemented and worked with leading-edge technology or HR systems to transform ways of working
• delivered a high quality, efficient and cost effective service;
The sift is due to take place 28th-29th January 2021.
Interviews/assessments are likely to be held w/c 15th February or w/c 22nd February 2021.
This interview could be conducted via a video interview, details of which will be provided to you should you be selected for interview.
We will try to meet the dates set out in the advert. There may be occasions when these dates will change. You will be provided with sufficient notice of the confirmed dates.
The selection process will be designed specifically for the role. As a result, your assessment could include:
• an interview
You’re encouraged to become familiar with the role profile, as you may be assessed against any of the criteria recorded within.
The Department for Transport alongside other Government Departments recruit using Success Profiles. This means for each role we consider what you will need to demonstrate in order to be successful. This gives us the best possible chance of finding the right person for the job, drives up performance and improves diversity and inclusivity.
For further information on Success Profiles visit our Careers website .
If you are experiencing accessibility problems with any attachments on this advert, please contact the email address in the ‘Contact point for applicants’ section
To learn more about applying for a role within the Department for Transport, visit the Application Process page of our Careers website.
Before submitting your application, we encourage you to visit our Things You Need to Know page for further information about applying for a role within the Department for Transport and the Civil Service.
Throughout this job advert there are links to the DfT Careers website , which provides you further information to support your application. Should you be unable to access the information on our website, please email for assistance.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
This job is broadly open to the following groups:
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.